Friday, September 9, 2011

Old Pay Records - Lovell Glendower Tresham

Every now and then, the genealogical research hits a speed bump and you get stuck for years trying to work through it. In my case I'm a bit fixated on Lovell and have had no end of troubles but then along comes a very kindly historical records archivist (and an amazingly generous and dedicated payroll man called Gary Adams') and suddenly I'm getting pieces of the puzzle again...

It's hard to explain the feeling of forensically rebuilding the life of a man (essentually a nobody, he wasn't famous, he didn't have a lot going for him as far as I can see although he seems to me to be a hard worker and a good man and a battler, in the noble sense (not that demeaning, self serving and patronising sense in which it is frequently used by Australias politicians)).

Again I am indebted to Vera Jeffrey and Gary Adams at Sydney Water /Sydney Catchment Authority - Historical Research and Archives Facility. Suddenly all those water bills I've paid over the years feel like the money has gone to an organisation that is more than just a business* and I have to say that I like that feeling...

* Insert caveat here. I am beginning to wonder if they ever put on exhibitions of their historical artifacts because the more I talk with Vera the more I realise that much of what they have is truely fascinating!






No comments:

Post a Comment